Candidates are being sought for the Hockey Canada Board of Directors elections in November 2020. Successful candidates will fill nine available positions, including chair, for two-year terms. Hockey Canada is seeking a diverse group of individuals to serve; bringing a variety of thoughts, knowledge and experiences is critical to the success of the organization. The Board must include a minimum of two male and two female directors.
Ideal candidates should feel comfortable providing objective and independent points of view with sound judgment and a broad perspective. They should be good communicators with an ability to listen, question and challenge in a constructive manner. Lastly, as an ambassador for the organization they should be committed to the values and mission of Hockey Canada that inspire and enable all Canadians to enjoy the game.
The nominating committee includes seven individuals and is chaired by a past chair of the Hockey Canada Board of Directors. A candidate can be nominated by one of Hockey Canada’s 13 Members, or by the chair of the nominating committee.
The deadline for nominations is September 15, 2020.
Duty of Care
• Exercise the care of a reasonably prudent person.
• Offer personal perspectives and opinions on issues under consideration.
• Voice clearly and explicitly any opposition to a decision being considered, at the time the decision is being made.
• Ask for a review of a decision if there are reasonable grounds to believe the board acted without full information or in a manner inconsistent with its obligations.
• Work cooperatively with fellow directors and staff.
• Know and respect the distinction between the roles of board and staff.
• Attend all board meetings.
• Participate in decision-making and policy-setting.
• Participate in risk-assessment and strategic planning.
• Ensure Hockey Canada has written policies and controls in place.
Duty of Loyalty
• Act with honesty and in good faith in the best interests of Hockey Canada, and not for personal gain or the benefit of any third party.
• Maintain solidarity with fellow Directors in support of a decision that has been made in good faith from a reasonable presentation of facts.
• Exercise vigilance and declare any apparent or real personal conflict of interest in accordance with Hockey Canada bylaws and policies.
Duty of Obedience
• Be faithful to the Hockey Canada mission statement.
• Be informed of the legislation under which Hockey Canada exists.
• Be informed of the bylaws, regulations, playing rules and policies and other documents that pertain to • the duties of the director.
• Be generally informed about activities of Hockey Canada and general trends in sports.
• Attend and be prepared to serve on committees or task teams, and to read minutes for board, Member and Member Forum meetings.
Note: Hockey Canada offers training and mentorship to new board members, and a supportive, friendly and stimulating environment.
DEADLINE FOR SUBMISSION: SEPTEMBER 15, 2020